Sunday 27 January 2013

Week 5: Making a list … and checking it.


My brain is like a sieve. I think I'll blame it on baby brain – that's definitely a 'thing' and I'm pretty sure it lasts forever, right?

I've missed appointments, forgotten to pick up things at the supermarket, called people by the wrong name. I often call my baby 'Flexo' instead of 'Lincoln' (yes, Flexo would be one of our dogs' names).

I am scattered and vague. No doubt a lot of this has to do with being tired (my baby likes a good party in the middle of the night), but I think it also has a lot to do with my mind taking me to the future and the past all the time, instead of focusing on the moment. I'll be doing one thing, like the dishes for example, and then in my mind I start to panic about all those other things I need to remember to do. Suddenly, I'm no longer doing the dishes, I'm (very ineffectively) doing 101 other things. Unfortunately, I then forget to actually do these other things until I'm once again at the kitchen sink, or in the shower, or feeding the baby. The cycle continues.

I've always been a big fan of lists. Writing stuff down helps me to sort it out. Lately, though, even my lists have become the opposite of mindful. I write them while I'm distracted, forget where I've put them, then start another one. Then I forget to check them and tick them off (refer to my earlier point about forgetting appointments …).

Right now, I have lots of little jobs on my 'lists'. We are about to move house – suddenly, I have a bunch of stuff to do, and that panicky feeling in my chest is intensifying.

This week is a good week to find a way to be more mindful about all this stuff I have to do. So, Week 5 is about making lists – mindfully. Then I'm going to make sure I check them and, mindfully, work through them.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erica,

    I'm so glad I stumbled across your site and your project. It's wonderful. I'm enjoying following along and seeing what you focus on each week and how you go. I'm all for being in the moment. Natalie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie

      Thanks so much for your comment. It's lovely to hear that you're enjoying reading along!

      All the best
      Erica

      Delete
  2. Yeah I am with you about being in the moment. So so great to hear others planning and thinking along the same lines...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant Amber! It's always nice to know we're not on this 'journey' alone :)

      Delete