Sunday 3 February 2013

Week 6: I'm breathing in, I'm breathing out.


As I contemplated a suitable 'challenge' for this week, I caught myself in a minor state of panic. Another challenge?! But I haven't mastered the last five!

The first five challenges I set have been very significant for me: I've drastically changed my internet browsing habits; brought a whole new level of awareness to the way I eat; put my interrupting habit into a headlock (gosh, how it wriggles to be free!); gotten back to nature; and, made a serious effort to get stuff out of my head and into some kind of mindful order. Phew!

I think I need some consolidation time. They (who's 'they'? You know, those guys, who say stuff...) say it takes three months to create/break a habit. If that's the case I've only got my toe in the water of change. So, this week is going to be a little simpler, but in no way insignificant.

This week is about the breath.

For my birthday, I received two books about mindfulness from a couple of my gorgeous friends. One of them is The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh.

This simple little book has reminded me of the importance of being with the breath: “You should know how to breathe to maintain mindfulness, as breathing is a natural and extremely effective tool which can prevent dispersion. Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites your body to your thoughts. Whenever your mind becomes scattered, use your breath as the means to take hold of your mind again.”

Every day this week, I'm going to sit and just be with my breath for a few minutes. As I breathe in, I will say to myself “I'm breathing in”; as I breathe out, “I'm breathing out”. Nothing but the breath.  

No comments:

Post a Comment