Sunday 14 April 2013

Week 16: Stop and think.

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. It happens to the best of us. As that feeling of irritation welled up inside my chest, I desperately wanted to give it a voice and lash out at someone. Ugh, I just read that last sentence back and I don't like the way it sounds; it makes me sound like a big meanie. But it's the truth, so there it is.

I know this about myself (and, let's be honest, it's hardly unique to me) and so I do try my best to feel what I'm feeling without acting on it in the heat of the moment - recognising that emotions are temporary and fickle. Yet despite my best intentions, there are times when my feelings get the better of me. Words will pop out of my mouth or actions will tumble forth from my body, before I have a chance to consider their consequences.

The fall-out from this is generally worse than the original emotion. Then I've got the guilt to contend with, or that yucky taste in my mouth left behind by my bitter words. And, of course, there's that moment when I have to admit I wasn't even right ...

This week I'm going to think before I speak and think before I act. Maybe I'll pause and take a deep breath; give myself a moment to let the immediate drive of emotion dissipate. Why? Because the bitter taste of words spoken too quickly is simply not worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment