Sunday 19 May 2013

Week 21: Meditation ... I knew it was coming.

There's one challenge I've been avoiding for over 20 weeks now. I know I can't keep avoiding it. I know it's a challenge that I'll find challenging. But most of all, I know I need to do it. Now's as good a time as any.

I'm going to meditate.

This week, for twenty minutes of every day, you'll find me sitting in my yoga room, meditating.

Why my reluctance to take on this challenge? Good question. I'm a big fan of meditation - I think it has the power to change the world.

I used to have a very dedicated practice. Then I had a baby and got obscenely tired and overwhelmed by my new responsibilities. And, I always feel busy. When my son sleeps, taking even 20 minutes out to do something as self-indulgent as meditating seems somewhat shocking. What about the dinner preparation? Washing? Vacuuming? What about that yoga class I have to plan and the writing I need to get done? What about all those big decisions I have to make? All that thinking I have to do?

That's where I'll pull myself up. All of those reasons why I can't meditate are the very reasons why I should.

When I used to meditate daily, I felt so centred. I had a series of 'aha' moments in the clarity that came through my dedication. Choices and decisions that once felt like mental gymnastics to mull over suddenly felt easy and obvious. I could do with some of that now.

I'm sure everyone out there has heard of the amazing benefits of meditation - they are numerous and profound. From stress relief to improvements in physical health markers, there's no shortage of reasons to practice. Often, though, we think it's too hard, that we don't have the time, or that we just aren't doing it right. Really, it doesn't have to be that way. I used to sit for an hour a day to meditate. That was before my son was born. Now, that really does seem to high a mountain to climb, so I'm settling on what feels like an easier ask - just 20 minutes a day. Surely that's do-able.

Time to take the plunge. Off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment