Friday 21 June 2013

Week 25 Update: Permission to move on ... liberating.

Well, well, well, what do you know ... the ability to move on was always in my hands, I just had to give myself permission!

I am a shocking 'stewer'. I have a tendency to re-hash situations in my mind over and over again. It's almost as though I like hitting myself over the head with a stick labelled 'it's done and dusted, but I oddly like the repetitive feeling of this stick hitting my head'. No more (well, okay, let's be realistic ... no more may be a little optimistic ... maybe I'll say 'less frequently', just to be on the safe side).

What had to change? I had to give myself permission. This week, as I set out to 'move on' from the little things, essentially I was giving myself permission to ignore that persistent urge to worry and re-live moments gone. The ability to move on was always there, but I think I felt that by stewing, playing 'what if?', beating myself up about 'mistakes' or ill-chosen words I was making things better, or at least paying my penance.

Ah, how wrong I was. Moving on has been liberating! I'm not going to lie and say I've been able to move on 100 per cent from every little thing this week, but I have made a huge shift. It's incredible the space that opens up to be in the moment when I'm not caught up in the past. Magnificent!

No comments:

Post a Comment