Sunday 2 June 2013

Week 23: If you're happy and you know it, then you really ought to show it.

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." (Kurt Vonnegut)

I love, love, love this quote. How easy is it to notice when we are unhappy? When things aren't going our way? It's incredibly easy. We generally have no difficulty noticing when things are less than our version of perfect. But what about when we're happy? In those moments when things are beautiful, contented, magical, whimsical - what do we do? Shout it from the rooftops? Well, I think we should.

It's far too easy to get caught up and dragged down by the negative. The negative has a way of jumping out and grabbing our attention - often resulting in dramatic, 'woe is me' self-talk. So this week I want to focus on those moments when I'm happy (which is often) and make a point of 'shouting it from the rooftops', even if the shouting and the rooftop is only in my own mind.

Because, if you're happy and you know it, then you really ought to show it! (Go on, clap your hands ...).

Pretty simply really.

No comments:

Post a Comment