Sunday 3 March 2013

Week 10: Finding my 'half smile'.

There's a lovely mindfulness exercise in Thich Nhat Hanh's The Miracle of Mindfulness, all about the 'half smile'. He suggests half-smiling at various times throughout the day, including when you're irritated ...

I like the sound of this. When I'm irritated/tired/upset, it's so very easy to get carried away from the present moment and into extravagant stories of my own making. I'm hopeful that the half-smile might be enough to pull me back so I can pause and remember to stay present.

I'm going to half-smile frequently this week; not only when I'm irritated! I'll take Thich Nhat Hanh's advice and half-smile when I wake up in the morning and whenever I have a 'free moment' as well.

It'll be a lovely contrast to the half-frown that's furrowed my brow more frequently than I care to admit over the past couple of weeks (I'm still blaming moving house!).

No comments:

Post a Comment